Monday, March 31, 2014

the skin i'm in.




I took these self portraits on Friday, 3/28. It's a pretty big step for me, to have these pictures, these pictures in my underwear. Something that I pushed myself to do, why I take self portraits in the first place. To many, self portraiture may seem vain and narcissistic, but for me, it's quite the opposite. No, for me, it's therapy. It's a way to give back to myself, to push myself, to become comfortable in myself. All my life I have struggled with insecurity, body shaming myself, being self conscious. It's something that has been improving over time, and self portraiture has become a small remedy for that. Standing in front of the camera, letting it capture all of my flaws, seeing these flaws, and embracing myself. Seeing myself as the world sees me and not this idea of myself that I have in my head. Being comfortable with what I have, because, it's all I have and it's not going to change. This is who I am right now, in this point in time, this is what I look like. There's not use in hating myself, or not believe people when they call me beautiful, I have to believe it.

So, I did it. I took these pictures. I took these pictures to show myself that it's okay. That maybe I can be beautiful the way that I am, today.

Because lately, I am feeling more beautiful with these bones. In this skin, and everything that comes with it. I have Katheryn to thank for that also. It's nice to have someone around you, who looks at you in such a way where you have no choice but to believe them, you can see it in their eyes, feel it in their touch, feel it everywhere.

Featuring: Bubba Moonbeam. Be the person your dog thinks you are.

All photos taken with Canon EOS Rebel 350D.

No comments:

Post a Comment